This should more appropriately be titled Why I Quit Two Perfectly Good Jobs but that's semantics.
Today I quit a job after only a few days there. I came home, took a nap, and poured myself a glass of wine.
It was a WONDERFUL company with some of the most amped-up, happy, and enjoyable people I have ever met in my life.
I can honestly tell you that I have fun for two days and got paid to do it.
Was I in love with the job? Probably not. I don't really know because I wasn't there long enough to know I was or I wasn't. I quit.
My last job was a job I loved. I liked going to work. I loved (and still love) the people there – both at work and in the community at large.
I left all that behind because I felt a pull to be closer to my family. I was sick of missing them all the time. I was sick of missing all the good and the bad stuff.
I missed having coffee with my mom. I missed my dad laughing at his own jokes. I missed seeing my extended family. I missed my friends here.
I knew that by leaving, I would leave behind friends that I would also miss. I've left a giant piece of my heart in Manitoba with my lovelies there. I love them like family. But there is only one place they call you one of their own and that's home.
That is why I left a job that I loved. I just had to come home and regroup before I could take on the world again.
When I started my journey from Manitoba back to the motherland, I knew that although I would miss my friends, I would have my family and my friends here to keep me whole. That ache would still be there, but it wouldn't be so sharp. I would be okay.
Fast forward a couple weeks: I was offered a job at a wonderful company. I agreed to take it.
I knew the hours would be hectic and a promotion might mean uprooting again, but I thought for the earning potential, it would be worth my time.
I liked the people I was working with. I liked the atmosphere. I turned down another job to give this company a go.
But when it takes you away from your family, it's not worth all the money in the world.
Right now, there is a lot going on in my family. There's a lot going on with my friends. My life is full and busy and I'm grateful to be here for it. The good and the bad.
But the reality is that there is no job worth time away from my family and friends.
I can always earn money.
But I can't earn missed time back.
I can spend my life working to live a life I'm not getting a chance to live or I can just live my life.
I already have to miss my people in Manitoba. The last thing I want is to miss my people here too.
It's absurd to me to be this close and still find myself missing them.
While I loved the opportunity, I love my friends and my family more.
When I am 90 and I look back on my life, I won't remember how being unemployed just a little longer affected my life. I won't remember how I didn't earn as much money in those few months I took to figure my life out.
What I will remember are the times spent with the people I love and how regardless of financial impact, I did what I could to spend the most time I could with them.
I will remember the people who have made my life worth living. Not the money I made.
The only way to live a full life is to actually live it with the people you love and the people who love you back.
And that is exactly why I left two good jobs.
xo
You are a woman of great courage and wisdom.
ReplyDeleteThank-you, Gayle.
ReplyDeleteComing from you, that means a lot <3