I feel like I've started into this hobby about half my life too late. I love it.
I find myself receiving a lot of inspiration from Pinterest. I started a crafty board. Frankly, it may as well be labelled as a knitting board, but I cannot be bothered to move that many pins to a new board.
Thus far, I've made a lot of dishcloths, a ton of pattern samples, and I am finishing up my second scarf.
My knitting life has reached a new pinnacle: I am about to embark on my first afghan.
I am itching for Michael's to release a coupon of epic proportions. The yarns I'm eyeballing for my afghan are genuine, non-acrylic, and cost enough for this to feel like a an investment. Something about snuggling up under acrylic feels wrong. It's got to be the real deal.
I've also got a second afghan in the books. Thanks to Handicrafter cotton, it will be genuine, but significantly less expensive than my first endeavor into blankets. Before I jump into Afghan #2, I must master picking-up stitches.
Next on my list, is mastering knitting in the round. I've attempted it twice. I'm close, but not quite there. Mittens, socks, and hats are in the distant future.
Right now, I am in love with seed stitch. I love it so much that I plan a whole blanket in seed stitch. It looks fancy, but it is stupid simple. It also feels durable.
It is the kind of stitch that looks impressive enough that I can tell people I poured my heart and soul into a lovely afghan.
The beautiful thing about knitting is there is always something new to learn. Right now, I'm happy with my minimal skills. I knit, I purl, and I'm content with that. I will NEVER know it all. There are so many different patterns, stitches, and techniques that I will never become bored.
If you've never tried to knit, I encourage you to try.
It's kept me sane through the snowy months. Considering I have 765 million feet of snow in my front yard and I am positive it's never going to melt (prairie life), creating afghans will be both entertaining and useful.
Look at that: two birds, one stone.
xo
| Reason I stayed inside all winter. All the trees have looked like this since November. |
No comments:
Post a Comment