I am addicted to tea. I'd like to think I am simply a tea connoisseur, but I'm afraid I am a full-blown addict.
I have a an entire cupboard dedicated to tea. Every now and then, I purge a few different kinds and immediately run to my local tea shop to buy more. By run, I mean get in my car and drive the thirty minutes from base to Brandon. Lord knows if I'm running, you should too. There is likely a monster chasing me. Or a beaked animal. I am terrified of birds.
As I am a tea snob addict connoisseur, I have a few preferences and habits that are nearly embarrassing. For example, I like my tea to be properly steeped. I am guilty of recently stopping a young lady working in a coffee shop from massacring my tea and giving her a lesson in making tea. I haven't ordered a tea there since. In fact, I doubt I am even welcome there anymore.
Another example of my habits is my incessant need to buy specialty tea products. I'm talking teapots, warmers, steepers, perfect scooping spoons, mugs with their own steepers, and EVERY tea lovers most valued possession: the travel mug.
I've been through more than I care to discuss. My all-time favourite travel companion has been the Libre.
I love it.
It loves me back.
We have an excellent relationship.
I broke my Libre about 8 months ago and I incessantly bugged the tea shop to order them in. The problem: the price. They are more of an investment than some other tea mugs and with a glass inner, not a big seller in freezing cold Manitoba. NOTHING would ruin your day more than your glass breaking first thing in the morning when you're on the way to work. Mine broke in an unfortunate kitchen accident. I was devastated. I'd used this mug for nearly three years with no complaints and no issues. A travel mug lasting that long in our home is unheard of.
Today I found a new one locally. It was the best day ever.
I tried to make the change other mugs in the last eight months. I mean, I really tried. I figured I could get by just fine.
I started off with the Bodum. Great mug so long as you don't love Rooibos. Then I gave the Timolino a go. Decent mug for the price, but it's not glass.
Sure, I will still use the others, but I am so pleased to have a Libre back in my life. I even sprung for the big one. I would never advise only having one mug. ALWAYS have a back-up. It may not be your favourite, but you never know when you'll need it.
When we were posted, I dropped the plastic mug I had selected to be my trip mug. When I say dropped, I mean left it atop my Honda and took off. I had to wait five days for my other mug to arrive with the rest of my belongings.
I understand a forty dollar mug is not everyone's cup of tea. I'm not saying buy it. I'm simply telling you how much I love it. Truthfully, I could have ordered online. By the time I gave in an realized my Libre was what was missing in my life, it was winter. I really didn't want to risk shipping in the cold. It's got a PVC outer, but I cannot imagine the absolute devastation I would face if it arrived damaged. I waited. By chance, I came across it in the natural food store. Who knew?!?
| From left to right: Bodum, Timolino, and Libre. |
At the risk of sounding like paid advertising, I will tell you why the Libre is superior: The lid. That's it. The glass is a bonus as it keeps heat very well, but so does the Timolino. It is ALL about the lid.
The lid is gorgeous, has what I consider the perfect basket, and is super easy to clean. It rinses easily with no weird nooks or crannies to wash and it doesn't let sneaky Rooibos get through. Nothing is more attractive that swallowing a big ol' bit of tea.
This is the kind of day that makes tea snobs smile.
This week I also got my hands on a brand spanking new tea. I always keep a green jasmine on hand. It soothes my soul. This time, I sprung for the good stuff. The tea that is $13 for 50g. Hand rolled, beautiful, just jasminey enough, glorious tea formed graciously into pearls. What a fabulous change to my line-up.
My other teas are jealous. My only mistake this week was having Jon along for my tea extravaganzas. The man nearly died of shock when my tea haul was rang up and the only reason he didn't pass out when I bought the Libre is because he was sick of my whining about it.
| Heaven in the form of pearls. |
I suppose I could have worse habits.
I also hope you don't think I am just some insane tea lady...
xo
No comments:
Post a Comment